Monday, January 24, 2011

Project 2

Okay. I had quite a bit of trouble getting Maya to run on my computer, which was necessary for me to work on the assignment. After many days of sweating it out with Autodesk tech support, I got it working, so now, finally, I can post my response to Project 2. To do so, I went into my rough build of the golden gate of Kiev, and found it was not what I would have done if I'd known then what I know now, so I redid it. I used the opportunity to learn about quantifying the measurements using Maya, and was able to be much more precise in lining up the objects I was working with.

Then I tried applying some "difference Booleans" to the Mesh (something I never thought I'd be saying, and am not sure I should be admitting here) and had some success with the main archway, but when I tried to use the same techniques for other windows, I couldn't get it to work. Any archway-shaped object I created ate up the entire shapes involved rather than "differencing." I'm still not sure exactly why I couldn't get it to work; I really wanted to get those windows in place.

The building is astonishingly geometric, so there was no real modeling I could usefully do, though I did want to put in some mossy vegetation on the angled faces, but I ran out of time before I conceived of how to do so with the tools I know.

I threw in some color to give it definition, used a few wood textures to try out the textures function, adjusted the camera for the view I wanted and rendered a picture of it. Weird color choices, but when I've applied UVs, it shouldn't matter.

Here it is:

It really needs the windows!

No comments:

Post a Comment